Re: [LUG] Very OT Imperial v Metric [ Was Re: Clock problems]

On 02/09/07, Julian Hall <lists@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Mark Jose wrote:
> Final moan for tonight - why the hell have schools stopped teaching times
> tables up to 12? They stop at 10 now - presumably decimalisation, but that
> seems to be a relatively new introduction.
> I am nearly 47.
>
> Mark
Final Final.

I'll have 3 metres of 2 x 4 [inch] please.

length metric, cross-section Imperial.... madness! :)

BTW IMHO Imperial is superior on accuracy grounds.  deg. F are smaller
than deg. C.  Granted inches are bigger than cm, but then you go down as
far as 1/8 and 1/16 - much more accurate.

Bollocks.
The metric system is not limited to crude fractions and single-unit measurements. A femtometre, for instance, is not even close to one millionth of 1/16".
Who here can tell the difference between 77F and 78F in terms of weather? I doubt most people would be able to at least notice the difference between 20C and 21C. And again there is always this newfangled decimal system

Feet are smaller than metres... yards are smaller than metres.... pints
smaller than litres... etc....

The decimetre is smaller than the foot and the metre[1]... the decilitre is smaller than the pint...
Size is meaningles. I could argue that the inch is bigger than the centimetre, that the 1/16 inch is bigger than the micrometre, etc.

[1] Note that the yard is about 91.4cm, so it is about the same as a metre.

--
Benjamin F. Goodger
~ design and ideas lab ~