Re: [LUG] Clock problems

On Sunday 02 September 2007 02:23, Mark Jose wrote:
> On Sunday 02 September 2007 01:32, Ben Goodger wrote:
> > On 31/08/07, Brad Rogers <brad@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> > > On Fri, 31 Aug 2007 10:58:16 +0100
> > > Julian Hall <lists@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> > >
> > > Hello Julian,

> > > Same here.  I still call it all real, rather than old, money.
> > >
> > > How many people under 30 can tell us what LSD (as in currency, NOT
> > > recreational drug) is short for, I wonder?
> >
> > Libra, (sisterna?)/shillings, denarii if I guess correctly. I know it's
> > the useless £sd system which was got rid of 1971, though. I'm glad to
> > have a sensible currency system nowadays.
> > I'm nearly 17.
a)12 is divisible by 2,3,4,6
b)10 by 2 and 5
c)20 is hands and feet
LSD is not rocket science but far more useful for simple calculations - until
inflation made it a bit too fine toothed . It was actually a bit more
intuitive and because of a) there were a lot of handy tricks for division and
multiplication.
The Roman number system didn't stop it creating the largest empire known.
        An easy number system doesn't make for less error prone calculations - as
far
as I can tell it leads to the opposite. Memory techniques essentially rely on
making you more aware of what you are trying to remember, the apparent
inconsistencies in LSD seem to have had a similar effect in making you
slightly less complacent, and hence more aware, of what you were trying to do
and so actually less likely to cock up.
And this message is not in the least self consistent at any level!
Tom te tom te tom