Re: [LUG] bug triage

On 8/31/07, Neil Stone <neil@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Incidently, when I went to college we were being taught to program in
> COBOL.. (yeah, like i'm going to use that...) and being lectured by people
> who had less IT knowledge than any one of their students.. No I didn't
> complete the course. the vast majority of my knowledge has been throgh
> hands on (read "oops it's broken, time to fix it") experiance. I think I
> get by ok considering this fact.

Nothing like having to get stuck in and have problems to solve to
really learn something. If thats self taught or thrown in at the deep
end in a job. Having something broken to fix is great as there is a
real goal and if its important then there is loads of motivation :-)

Actually, this is where joining in with a open source project can be
great. If you are interested by the project, so can get involved even
at a low level and soon learn more, working with others in this way
can really help your coding skills and style. I know it can be tricky
but getting in with bigger projects can be even better as they often
have strict coding styles and enormous flame wars regarding them, lol.
 But is all good learning material.

Robin