Re: [LUG] OT: Exam Ploicy [was: Re: Clock problems]

Julian Hall wrote:
> Neil Williams wrote:
>
>> More likely (and more worrying), 60% of the work is wrong rather than
>> simply missing.
>>
>> Incorrect knowledge is more of a problem than a lack of knowledge.
>> Someone who doesn't know is more open to the correct answer than
>> someone who believes the wrong answer is true. Seeing as the pupil is
>> never told WHICH 60% of their answers were wrong, it is likely that at
>> least 25% of their "knowledge" is simply WRONG.
>>
> A very good point.  In one module we had an online test and I scored
> 11/12.  Not too shabby, except nowhere was I told which one was deemed
> to be wrong.  With that sort of approach only two states give a
> definitive answer 0% and 100%.  At least with those you know you got no
> questions right, or every question right.
>
> One of our lecturers had it right - he gave us online tests as well, but
> not only did he tell us which we had wrong, he also gave the correct
> answers.  Being told which is wrong is only half the battle... knowing
> how to correct it is the other half.
>
> Kind regards,
>
> Julian

I got this with OU coursework  the feedback was excellent a mix of this
is good,  where there were problems with what I had written there were
comments to help me with suggestions on vocabulary or how to write
things better to use etc.

This is probably one reason why the OU gets rated so highly,  the
feedback is very very useful and essential to helping people learn,
there is no point saying this is the wrong answer unless there is an
explanation as to why its wrong and what is the right answer is,
sometimes seeing the right answer suddenly makes sense,  and you see
where it comes from,  which means you probably understand the materials.

Again for my previous OU science courses I have had feedback from my end
of course assesments in 2 parts,  the first was which answers were right
or wrong,  including good pass, excellent, etc,  the 2nd was an
explanation of the right answer,   So I could go back to my question
paper and mark on the correct answers or try and figure out where I went
wrong.   Handy for future references.

its interesting when I was at school I was marked down for spelling /
grammer errors,  as were people a few years earlier doing the old O
levels,  It seems now students are not marked down as long as they can
get the idea across,  which in math is why you can get points for
showing working (i kind of agree with this,  perhaps give people 2 marks
1 for working and 1 for the right answer). I think  employers are
complaining about this,   I have found I pick up on more errors now such as.

deliverys  rather than deliveries on the door to a bar in Paignton.
its basic English that is not being taught, or enforced at school,  it
seems the goverment want quantity of students to pass at GCSE, rather
than quality students,   as a result we all suffer.

If this is the case its the kids that are being conned by the very
people and or system they trust to give them a good education.

Paul

--

Support open file formats use ISO 26300 Open Document format
as used by openoffice.org,  http:///www.openoffice.org

Events

15th September 2007 - Software Freedom Day

Cornwall, details on lug site, www.dcglug.org.uk under meetings.
http://www.dcglug.org.uk/wiki/?id=Meetings_20070819