[LUG] OT: Exam Ploicy [was: Re: Clock problems]

Neil Williams wrote:
> More likely (and more worrying), 60% of the work is wrong rather than
> simply missing.
>
> Incorrect knowledge is more of a problem than a lack of knowledge.
> Someone who doesn't know is more open to the correct answer than
> someone who believes the wrong answer is true. Seeing as the pupil is
> never told WHICH 60% of their answers were wrong, it is likely that at
> least 25% of their "knowledge" is simply WRONG.
A very good point.  In one module we had an online test and I scored
11/12.  Not too shabby, except nowhere was I told which one was deemed
to be wrong.  With that sort of approach only two states give a
definitive answer 0% and 100%.  At least with those you know you got no
questions right, or every question right.

One of our lecturers had it right - he gave us online tests as well, but
not only did he tell us which we had wrong, he also gave the correct
answers.  Being told which is wrong is only half the battle... knowing
how to correct it is the other half.

Kind regards,

Julian