Re: [LUG] bug triage

On 29/08/2007, Neil Williams <linux@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Now, I'm going to be a little controversial here:
> <devilsadvocate>
> For the above reasons, a *humble* self-taught programmer may make a
> better team worker than a *over confident* graduate.
> </devilsadvocate>

I'd say the reverse - any reasonable computing degree should expose
the student to enough to make it quite clear that they can't possibly
know it all, and connect the student with real world experts who will
put them in their place sharpish - certainly the case with me.

My 2nd interview out of uni resulted in deconstruction of some C tree
parsing and building I wrote and was fairly proud of (less that it was
good, merely that it compiled and ran), and I felt like a complete
amateur - using malloc rather than a safer alternative,  not using a
real XML parser, etc.

Having said that - most of the important stuff I've learnt has been
from the open source (particularly perl) community from my placement
year onwards - I learnt surprisingly little important stuff (other
than what it's like to work in IT for a year) on my placement year.

A.

--
http://www.aarontrevena.co.uk