Re: [LUG] OT - conspiracy theories - was facebook group

James Kilty wrote:
> Chomsky has given an account of such as why Germany was kept divided
> even though Stalin offered reunification long before it actually
> happened. Worth a read.
If we're bringing Germany into it there is IMHO a strong argument to say
that WWII was caused by Britain and the USA allowing France to have
their way at the Treaty of Versailles.  It was the punitive financial
elements France insisted upon that directly caused the collapse of the
Weimar Republic and therefore the loss of prestige and self-worth of the
German population.  Punishing the populace in that way instead of
restricting it to those really at fault, the political leadership and
military created the conditions for a leader like Hitler to come in and
promise to undo all the problems caused and give the German people their
pride back.  Of course they leapt at the chance and voted him in.  The
rest we know.

That was an example of conspiracy combining with a large side-order of
cockup.

Kind regards,

Julian