Re: [LUG] Clock problems

Julian Hall wrote:
> Benjamin A'Lee wrote:
>> Well, they're right, science should be made easier. What's all this
>> nonsense with ? = 3.14..., for example? Make it 3, so the poor little
>> dears can remember it without over-taxing their brains.
>>
>> They say they want pupils "...to acheive the best grade expected"; I
>> don't see how making the exams easier will help this; it'll just give
>> them a better grade than they deserve (with the downside that people at
>> the top end of the scale won't have the opportunity to demonstrate their
>> ability). It's madness...
>>
>>      Ben
>>
> Talking of madness my first week in Uni two years ago, the lecturer for
> QMS [1] went round asking everyone multiplication questions. Given that
> I am on a computer related course I was shocked at how many got them wrong!

Well I would admit that I am crap at in my head sums and personally I
think it proves nothing except the ability to remember numbers. Under a
situation like you describe I too may get it wrong or just not have a
clue so you would probably be laughing at me too, but I have
successfully completed an engineering degree and a Phd so think that
times tables in your head proves very little.

--
Robin Cornelius
http://www.byteme.org.uk