[LUG] Compaq laptop

My brother uses Windows. He has a Compaq laptop which he rarely uses so
he suggested we try to install kubuntu on it. He doesn't need to use
the laptop for anything else so he was quite happy to wipe the disc and
have only Linux on it.

Well, yesterday we tried. I have a DVD for Feisty and we used that. I
have never seen anything so slow. We never got to the end of answering
the questions. After nearly two hours (and I am *not* exaggerating) we
still hadn't got past step four, so we gave up.

Can anyone help please? The Compaq is about three years old, but it
runs XP quite adequately. Does Linux not work on that make? Or am I
missing something?

Thanks

Neil Winchurst