Re: [LUG] Compaq laptop

On Sun, 26 Aug 2007 08:57:30 +0100
Neil Winchurst <neil@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Well, yesterday we tried. I have a DVD for Feisty and we used that. I
> have never seen anything so slow. We never got to the end of answering
> the questions. After nearly two hours (and I am *not* exaggerating) we
> still hadn't got past step four, so we gave up.

What did you think was the bottleneck? Was it just the DVD drive (try a
net install from an Etch CD)? Was it trying lots of tests again and
again? Was there one particular question that kept failing? Was it the
network connection?

> Can anyone help please? The Compaq is about three years old, but it
> runs XP quite adequately.

XP was not installed via the DVD so you can't really compare - unless
it was the Ubuntu installer that was actually running slowly (i.e.
taking a long time to draw each screen). (i.e. video card driver
problem).

> Does Linux not work on that make? Or am I
> missing something?

I'm missing some data on how to answer but there is no intrinsic reason
why Ubuntu would not install on a Compaq.

--

Neil Williams