Re: [LUG] three ISP's to avoid

On Mon, 13 Aug 2007 15:54:23 +0100
James Fidell <james@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Hello James,

I neglected to mention a fairly obvious source of revenue;  Sale of
programs/ideas abroad.

> Well, yes, what most people see as "the BBC" is actually a whole load
> of separate businesses, not all of which are funded by the licence fee

Yes, but in the same way that Ford UK is "entirely separate" from Ford
USA, I suspect.  So whilst each has its own budgetary constraints, and
has to balance its books, I'd lay a small wager on the ability of one
part to 'subsidise' another, should the need arise.

However, all this has nothing to do with the issue of charging both
user and content provider for bandwidth.  If the ISPs go hard for it,
and actually get the Beeb to cough up, it'll only mean that punters
that use the service end up paying for it twice.  Worse still. some of
us will end up paying for it, even though we can't use it, because the
iplayer is currently Windoze only.  A Mac version may arise, but no
hint of a Linux player (surprise surprise).

OTOH, denying 100 people access to their email because 30 (for arguments
sake) are d/l'ing the latest episode of Eastenders does seem somewhat
unfair.

Whilst we might no like it, traffic shaping will probably be the way of
the future.  Typical;  Give us all this bandwidth, then say we can't
use it.  Mind you, I remember a time when comms was done via BBS's on
300/300 or 1200/75 modems.  Ah, happy (but expensive) days....

--
 Regards  _

Well I don't want you to think I'm being obscene
Fish - The Damned