Re: [LUG] three ISP's to avoid

On Monday 13 August 2007 10:23, Tom Potts wrote:
> http://www.theinquirer.net/?article=41647
>
> three ISP's will not want you to use the IPlayer - now I'm not saying the
> IPlayer is any good but I wouldn't want my ISP telling me what I can do
> with my bandwidth!
> Tom te tom te tom

Tiscali, BT and Carphone Warehouse are the ones in the article, but I suspect
plenty of others will kick off too. My own ISP - Pipex - like most others
throttle bandwidth and use various methods to reduce load on their systems.
Any streaming media would, I feel, also be likely to invoke throttling in
much the same way that p2p or other heavy use does.
When the average users start demanding their "paid for" 8mb or whatever and
discover that in fact they only get a fraction of the bandwidth they are
paying for, we may start to see some changes!  When a few "geeks" complain
about throttled p2p or poor speeds downloading isos, the ISPs ignore us - or
ask us to go elsewhere. They will find it hard to ask most users to do that!

Mark