Re: [LUG] three ISP's to avoid

Mark Jose wrote:

> Tiscali, BT and Carphone Warehouse are the ones in the article, but I suspect
> plenty of others will kick off too.

I suspect it is only one side of the story.

There is the question of how access to the BBC is provided. If the ISPs
in question are making special arrangements with the BBC, then it is a
private matter between them and the BBC.

The peering discussion at the BBC website says that if you exchange more
than 10 MBps you should enter into a private peering arrangement.

We aren't privvy to these arrangements, but I'm guessing the BBC isn't
paying the same rate per Gigabit as you, or I would pay, if we set up a
data center to host content.

Now I'm all for charges reflecting costs, and a nice share and share
alike approach to the Internet. But I also don't think one can assume
that ISPs expectations for cash for bandwidth, are always unreasonable,
someone somewhere will be paying.

Without knowing what those arrangements look like I don't think we
should jump to conclusions.

These fairly ad-hoc relationships, where a provider has to decide if a
particular peering arrangement is worth it, is how the Internet
connectivity is negotiated.

 Simon