Re: [LUG] Exeter Hospital Radio Fun Day

james kilty wrote:
> Works with xp. Second time, with the second option (Dell laptop). I have
> done it elsewhere and defragged several times as it put files all over
> the place. Once they were in as sensible a place as I thought I could
> get (all in the first half of the disc) I went ahead with the
> partitioning. And back up first to cover yourself.

I've installed Ubuntu 7.04 on an XP system to dual-boot.  Took it off
almost immediately for two reasons:

1.  It kept insisting there were faults with the file system it had only
just created itself and kept 'fixing' the same faults every single
boot.  I *did* shut the system down properly, so obviously I got tired
of that behaviour very quickly.

2.  There was no way to customise the install.  Xandros by default gives
me a custom option so I can pick and choose which additional software to
install.  I can then even save those choices to a floppy disk to make
future installs even faster.  Ubuntu seems to put everything in whether
I like it or not.  Not, in my case :)

I may try the utility Rob mentioned to build my own custom Ubuntu ISO.
However I shouldn't have to as this function is built into other distros.

The only real reason to try Ubuntu is because it is a later kernel than
the 2.6.11 that Xandros 3.0.2 ships with and possibly my video capture
card will work better with it.  Apparently from .12 onwards a couple of
BTTV issues are fixed.

Kind regards,

Julian