Re: [LUG] migrating from M$ office

I have the opposite opinion to Henry. I think that Openoffice is a
good alternative to msoffice on its own but I don't consider it useful
for dealng with msoffice documents and msoffice users.

Since the conversion isn't perfect, I have to keep checking the docs
in msoffice before I show them to anyone else (I'm happy to deal with
content first and layout at the end but I seem to be in the minority
on that point.). Eg. ooo and mso highlight text in different ways.
When I give a doc with highlighted text to someone else they can't
unhighlight it in the normal way. There are many more little things
like that that add up to a large problem when several people are
writing the one document and you're the only linux user in the
village.

Oocalc seems to be the best for interoperabliliy. The only issue I've
had is with vba. It seems to think it can understand vba but I've
never seen it work. I'm glad to say that I've never had reason to use
ooimpress. Death by powerpoint isn't something I wish to inflict on
anybody.

It's a different matter if you own the document and others only have
to read it. The conversion only has to happen once.