Re: [LUG] migrating from M$ office

On Wed, Aug 01, 2007 at 01:35:43PM +0100, Paul Sutton wrote:
> I use oo.org all the time, and have found it imports most .doc files,
> fine,  I do however have problems with application forms, but to be fair
> I don't have msword.exe to compare it,  (I lost my home essentials cdrom),

I use oOo in a work environment and find it works well in converting to and from MS.
Key peculiarities that I have noticed

Microsoft word

- Tables do not import well (I find I normally have to go into the table settings
and amend the layout to automatic to get the document looking right). And nested
tables were a pain (I have not seen any for a while).
- Digital signatures do not export to word
- The track changes feature works well (even when round tripping word - oOo and back
again with multiple users)
- To simply read a word document, I would suggest looking at antiword, which works
incredibly well for me

On Excel, my bugbears are
- the pivot table option

On Powerpoint. I have had problems with this when fine tuning a presentation between
a powerpoint user and a oOo user. The formatting can get screwed up. This was with
oOo 1.5, so I am not sure if it has been fixed now

Overall the single biggest plus point for me is the styles tool bar (F11). It saves
me masses of time in both preparing and amending word and excel files

--
Henry
Wed Aug  1 18:19:38 BST 2007