Re: [LUG] Leadtek Winfast VC100 /w Xandros (Debian based 2.6.11 kernel)

Julian Hall wrote:

> 2.6.11 is the latest unless I want to buy the commercial version, and I
> don't see the point of that just for one small application.  So it looks
> like I'd need to patch it *SIGH*

You wouldn't patch -- you'd just install a later kernel.

It is relatively straight forward to build your own kernel package for
Debian (and derivatives), but you really shouldn't have to. It is
documented in the kernel-package package if you can't find a distro that
works for you and is current. Hopefully they package the Xandros kernels
so that the config is presented in /proc/config.gz, or you can get it
from the old kernel source.

However I'm somewhat concerned, if 2.6.11 is the latest Xandros kernel
are you getting security fixes? As 2.6.11 was released March 2005.
Perhaps you should buy commercial support from Xandros if it works well
for you otherwise, and it gets you the updates you need.

> I did try installing Ubuntu 7.04 Fiesty Fawn but I had all kinds of hell
> with it - e.g. every time I rebooted it kept reporting and allegedly
> fixing problems with the filesystem it had only just installed itself
> which got on my nerves from the start.

Urm, how did you shut it down. Sounds like a shutdown issue to me.

> When I partitioned the drive using the Ubuntu installer it kept refusing
> to set the sizes I wanted and shifting them a few K to round them up.

That is probably all that the disk geometry allowed. Typically you only
get to choose things to the nearest 4MB these days, anything claiming
otherwise is probably presenting a simplified view of your disk geometry.