Re: [LUG] Leadtek Winfast VC100 /w Xandros (Debian based 2.6.11 kernel)

Simon Waters wrote:
> Xandros must have a kernel more recent than 2.6.11 available, so
> probably you should just make sure the software installed is up to date,
> especially the kernel package, as any more recent kernel package will
> probably "just work".

2.6.11 is the latest unless I want to buy the commercial version, and I
don't see the point of that just for one small application.  So it looks
like I'd need to patch it *SIGH*

I did try installing Ubuntu 7.04 Fiesty Fawn but I had all kinds of hell
with it - e.g. every time I rebooted it kept reporting and allegedly
fixing problems with the filesystem it had only just installed itself
which got on my nerves from the start.  Then I'd reboot only to have it
find and 'fix' the same problems.  Third or fourth time it 'fixed' them
I got fed up.  Pity because I'm sure it would have had a 2.6.12*
kernel.  Wouldn't find my onboard network card or my sound card [1]

When I partitioned the drive using the Ubuntu installer it kept refusing
to set the sizes I wanted and shifting them a few K to round them up.
There didn't seem to be any customisation available either - In Xandros
you can pick exactly what applications to install - I couldn't find out
how to do that in Ubuntu.  Note that I'm not saying it isn't there -
just that I couldn't find it.

In the end I gave up and reinstalled Xandros.

Kind regards,

Julian

[1] That at least may have been a hardware issue as it took Xandros
three installs to find them - infuriating as it found them no problem
every other time I've installed it.