Re: [LUG] USB memory stick

Quoting Matthew Fairtlough <matthew@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>:

> Folks,  I rather cleverly thought I'd play around with a feature of
> Ubuntu 7.04 that allows you to use the gui to change the name of a
> mounted volume.  In this case my volume was a 4GB usb memory stick I
> bought especially to use with linux (no funny windows
> software/adware/stick protection).  All I did was to edit the volume
> name to change INTENSO to intenso (thinking that would be harmless:-).
> Before that the stick worked perfectly.  Afterwards I always get the
> same error message: Cannot mount volume (mount point cannot contain
> newline (??) or G_DIR_SEPARATOR (/) characters).
>
> There is nothing relevant in /etc/fstab.
>
> Does anyone have a clue whether the erroneous mount point data has been
> written to the stick (in which case a reformat might help; but it still
> works fine under windows with the original volume name of INTENSO) or to
> some configuration file of my o/s (and if so, where the information
> might be written as it is not /etc/fstab).  I'm using gnome if it isn't
> obvious already.  I can find no way of changing the mount point without
> mounting the thing (which I obviously can't do).
>
> thanks,
>
> Matthew.

Not sure off the top of my head, but one thing you could try is copy
the data off in Windows, go back into Linux and then format the drive.

IIRC the command to format a drive as FAT32 under Linux is something like:

sudo mkfs.vfat -F 32 -n "intenso" /dev/sdXX

Where sdXX is the device node and parition for your flash drive
(usually either sda1 if you have a standard IDE hard drive, or sdb1 if
you have a Serial ATA or SCSI drive).

Hope this helps.

Rob