[LUG] USB memory stick

Folks,  I rather cleverly thought I'd play around with a feature of
Ubuntu 7.04 that allows you to use the gui to change the name of a
mounted volume.  In this case my volume was a 4GB usb memory stick I
bought especially to use with linux (no funny windows
software/adware/stick protection).  All I did was to edit the volume
name to change INTENSO to intenso (thinking that would be harmless:-).
Before that the stick worked perfectly.  Afterwards I always get the
same error message: Cannot mount volume (mount point cannot contain
newline (??) or G_DIR_SEPARATOR (/) characters).

There is nothing relevant in /etc/fstab.

Does anyone have a clue whether the erroneous mount point data has been
written to the stick (in which case a reformat might help; but it still
works fine under windows with the original volume name of INTENSO) or to
some configuration file of my o/s (and if so, where the information
might be written as it is not /etc/fstab).  I'm using gnome if it isn't
obvious already.  I can find no way of changing the mount point without
mounting the thing (which I obviously can't do).

thanks,

Matthew.