Re: [LUG] USB memory stick

Matthew Fairtlough wrote:
> same error message: Cannot mount volume (mount point cannot contain
> newline (??) or G_DIR_SEPARATOR (/) characters).

> There is nothing relevant in /etc/fstab.

> I can find no way of changing the mount point without
> mounting the thing (which I obviously can't do).

Yes you can.
As root:

mount -t auto [device] /mnt/tmp

where device is probably /dev/sda1- since you are undoubtedly using
udev, look at the list of device nodes in /dev - with udev only the ones
that are connected will be present.

The problem is that you are using the gui with an automounter (and
probably HAL), and that is automatically trying to mount it under
something like /media/[name of volume], and since the name of the volume
contains a character which isn't allowed in a folder name, the
automounter fails.

A format will probably fix it, but there are other ways of changing the
volume label.