Re: [LUG] microsoft writing their own suicide note

On Wednesday 18 July 2007 19:34, Anton Channing wrote:
> Simon Waters wrote:
> > Anton Channing wrote:

> >> Unless I've missed something, google haven't been
> >> stealing files from my computer in order to target
> >> advertising at me through word processors, media
> >> players and email clients.
> >>
> >> Targetted advertising maybe old.  But microsoft
> >> are obviously adding a new unsavoury twist to
> >> a stolen idea as usual...
> >
> > Google are already doing the mail client via Gmail.
>
> I think the difference is that is web based, so
> doesn't have access to files on my PC.  If MS
> go through with their plan, ads that appear in
> outlook will have context driven ads from all
> files saved on my HD, regardless of origin.
>
> > But I fail to see the "inventive step".
>
> In this case the 'inventive step' is the very thing
> that makes it a lot more intrusive and a great big
> security risk compared to what google are doing.
>
> > We saw Google doing it in all their software, so we did it in ours, I
> > don't think qualifies as "inventive".... but I'm not a patent examiner ;)
>
> Neither am I.  And to me I don't care whether MS get
> the patent or not.  If they go ahead with it, they'll
> do it whether or not they get the patent. I'm just
> glad I don't rely on windows any more! :)
>
> Anton

Playing Devils Advocate for a second....
It is *possible* that Microsoft have applied for this purely to prevent others
from doing so. Imagine if one of the well known malware companies thought up
this idea and were causing (even more) misery to Microsoft users. The blame
would be placed at the feet of Microsoft for failing to prevent it from
happening. Maybe applying for the patent will be a cheaper option than
re-writing Outlook or whatever they use for mail these days to block this.

Just a thought....

Of course, it is entirely possible that Microsoft may find a use for this
patent at some point - for example an ad strewn version of their OS which was
supplied free.  I would not be surprised to see the next incarnation of
Windows coming as both a paid for (ad free) version and a free (ad riddled)
version for poorer countries. It may be part of the way forward as they see
it to prevent or reduce "piracy" of Windows. Who can tell!

Mark

Mark