Re: [LUG] yes!!! Ubuntu Feisty installed on notebook

Matthew Fairtlough wrote:
> I had a bit of a negative rant about Ubuntu recently and I've not been
> able to install it on my desktop/laptop yet.
>
> But I've got it up and running on my notebook (a fujitsu lifebook) and
> it's great, especially apt-get.

Good to hear! :-)

> What impressed me most was the live repartitioning of my windows disk
> which seemed to work faultlessly.  I backed up my most important stuff
> but it would have taken me days to reinstall all the software I've put
> on the notebook if things had gone wrong.  I took a deep breath and
> prayed it would all be fine and so it seems to be. I am planning to add
> a /home partition and move /home there as not enough disk space was
> reclaimed on install.

Oh I love that feature, I've used that a few times.  I also found the
GParted Live CD is handy for resizing.  I used it in fact today to
resize an XP partition so I could do a dual boot XP and XP install (for
a work colleague who doesn't want to upgrade to our new network domain
despite everyone else in the region upgrading 3 months ago).

> I got network access (not sure if I like the keyring stuff though;
> involves typing a password whenever I want to connect to the wlan; also
> no documentation that I can find on keyring) right away and connecting a
> network printer via samba was easy (now to find the printer that didn't
> appear...).  But compared to a few years ago when I had to manually
> install sambe and then wade through the manuals and still never got
> networking to work properly, this is a dream.

That keyring thing is annoying.  Luckily it seems to remember the
password for the entire logged on session.

Rob