Re: [LUG] Wher has Grandad gone wrong?

christopher.berry1@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:

> Posted by "Berry Christopher" <christopher.berry1@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
>

> Dear friends,
> Whilst on the web in Ubuntu 7.04 I was informed by a particular programme that I
> need Adobe Flash Linux(x86) tar.gz download.
> I downloaded the package and - sudo alien 'package'tar.gz.
> I got 'package'.deb and then sudo dpkg -i 'package'.deb.
> Then 'the Ubuntu installer' appeared and duly installed the package and I find it
> installed when I use the Synaptic Package Manager' BUT I am no better off when I
> try to raise the video on the web!!
> What have I done wrong?
> In the same way I now have Adobe Reader downloaded and installed and I can find it
> listed as installed BUT it does not appear in 'Applications' So how can I access
> it?
> For those interested I tried to set up Fedora 7 a couple of days ago but although
> impressed with it I could not work it because there was no mouse pointer!!! On
> checking a forum it would seem my experience is not unique! Such a shame!
> Thanks in advance!?
> Grandad Berry.
> --

Thats interesting, when I reinstall Ubuntu and go to a web page with a
flash component (such as www.geminiexter.co.uk or www.youtube.com) it
comes up with a bar at the top of the browser window saying that a
plugin is required.  It then asks if I would like to install the
required plugin.  If I say yes it finds the Adobe Flash Player plugin,
downloads it and installs it.

I guess as a first port of call would be to try removing the package
using Synaptic.

I was under the impression that Alien was used to convert from an .rpm
package to a .deb package.  Are you sure it supports .tar.gz packages too?

Rob