[LUG] yes!!! Ubuntu Feisty installed on notebook

I had a bit of a negative rant about Ubuntu recently and I've not been
able to install it on my desktop/laptop yet.

But I've got it up and running on my notebook (a fujitsu lifebook) and
it's great, especially apt-get.

What impressed me most was the live repartitioning of my windows disk
which seemed to work faultlessly.  I backed up my most important stuff
but it would have taken me days to reinstall all the software I've put
on the notebook if things had gone wrong.  I took a deep breath and
prayed it would all be fine and so it seems to be. I am planning to add
a /home partition and move /home there as not enough disk space was
reclaimed on install.

I got network access (not sure if I like the keyring stuff though;
involves typing a password whenever I want to connect to the wlan; also
no documentation that I can find on keyring) right away and connecting a
network printer via samba was easy (now to find the printer that didn't
appear...).  But compared to a few years ago when I had to manually
install sambe and then wade through the manuals and still never got
networking to work properly, this is a dream.

Got to disable the touch pad because it is hopeless for a touch typist;
the slightest touch on the pad while I'm typing and the cursor jumps
around and inserts whatever I'm typing where it feels like...

Sound is a bit wierd (I'm using the default ALSA stuff); radio stations
just stop playing under rhythmbox and the thing crashed after a while.
Also the speaker volume control on the menu bar thinks it should control
the headphone socket rather than the built-in speakers even when there
are no headphones plugged in which isn't so useful.

So I'm one happy linux bunny now.
thanks to anyone for listening,
Matthew.