Re: [LUG] Kubuntu 7.04 Woes

On Tue, 10 Jul 2007 15:41:53 +0100
John Hansen <whitover-1@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Jonathan Roberts wrote:
> The Windows programmes which I need to use are:
>
> TaxCalc

No replacement but, IMHO, it's a useless program on Windows anyway. It
just takes money from your wallet to do what you could do yourself
quicker, more accurately and with less hassle. I used it for a couple
of years until I realised that I had already done the calculation
before the TaxCalc CD arrived. I use a simple spreadsheet now, doing the
normal tax calculation that you see at the end of something like
TaxCalc, just better. ;-)

Problem with TaxCalc is a common problem with commercial software: It's
not good enough just to give the user an update file to migrate from
2005-6 to 2006-7 where the only things that change are the personal
allowances etc. because the user isn't likely to pay enough for that
to justify producing a whole new release with shrink wrapping etc.etc.
No, it has to be NEW and IMPROVED and WHIZZO and have way more eye
candy than can possibly be justified and ALL NEW eye candy just because
this year's colour is green instead of orange in order to artificially
inflate the price. Forget the awkward fact that with a 5kb update file
you could use the edition from last year. It all delays the release of
the program, so I gave up and now I update my own calculation direct
from the www.hmrc.gov.uk website.

There is very little information that needs an update from 2005-6 to
2006-7 "per user" but each update is very specific to one geographical /
political unit. There is no overlap between the tax systems of any two
countries and a nightmare of hassle if a user gets the wrong update for
their location. This makes it a less than enjoyable area for volunteer
programmers.

> Fairshares (by Updata)

Various online services are the best bet here. Once you get data into a
GNU/Linux financial manager like GnuCash, the prices can be updated
internally.

> Autoroute

Google map, multimap: online versions, basically. The problem here is
the sheer amount of data that needs to be updated continuously - the
opposite extreme of the TaxCalc problem. To collate that data on an
ongoing basis means employing people to do it and that means one of two
things: Either you put all the data somewhere central (www) and let
everyone use the one copy providing they put up with some ads, or you
package the data monthly (or more often) and push it to the user as an
update. It's very hard to do that for all distributions and it tends to
be labour-intensive so there would tend to be some form of registration
and charges.

Some applications just don't work on the desktop (and never did IMHO).
The web is just the best solution for tasks that require constantly
updated information. Autoroute was updated, once a year - if that? Why?
because it is a lot of work getting all that updated data onto every
desktop more often than that. (I also think that some desktop based
applications can never work on the web but mentioning that just upsets
Kai who considers the desktop a dead end.)
;-)

> Quicken

Discussed before.

> are no doubt excellent but do not allow me readily to transfer my
> Quicken files.

I'm afraid you are asking for the impossible. I really do advise you to
forget QIF and start from this financial year or last in a new file. If
for no other reason than that your Quicken files are full of errors.

The other option is some form of virtualisation, VMWare etc. Haven't
used it myself but others here have, IIRC.

Kai will be pleased because most of your Windows needs can actually be
met by online services, the HMRC tax website to replace TaxCalc, take
your pick of online share services, there's a wide range of route
planner websites too. It just leaves financial records. I can honestly
say that importing your Quicken data into any other program is only
going to give you grief. You'll spend YEARS picking up errors in the
imported data. It is far quicker to learn a new program and do it
properly from the start. Quicken is like a bad teacher - the longer you
go along with it, the longer it will take to relearn how to do it
properly.

--

Neil Williams