Re: [LUG] Mounting a "Mp3" player through a MSC or MTP mode to debian

On 7/9/07, Tom Potts <tompotts@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On Monday 09 July 2007 13:20, Michael Mortimore wrote:
> > > dont think USB devices have disk formats as understand them
> >
> > I believe the format is normally FAT.
> I think theres an implicit file system in the USB that on the device drivers
> on linux (that drive the Hub) automatically convert. Not sure though - all I
> know is the MD card on my camera is FAT for a card reader but anything I plug
> in USB doesn't need any -t msdos or anything.
> I cant say for sure as USB is the first PC spec I didn't read!
> Tom te tom te tom

USB devices present themselves in this case as a class known as the
mass storage device, this is then treated as a scsi disk drive and
loads some scsi drivers. This basicly gives low level read/write
capability to the scsi subsystem, ontop of which you can then add a
partition and then set it as FAT or what every you like.

As far as linux is concerned you get a device node that is a disk
drive. It has a partition table and data is treated as any other disk
drive type device.

Certainly FAT/FAT32 is the most common type but in theory you can put
ext2 on there if you so desire but don't expect your camera to be able
to write to the card :-)

--
Robin Cornelius
http://www.byteme.org.uk