Re: [LUG] Bizarr temperature halt

On Sun, 2007-07-08 at 18:04 +0100, jody salt wrote:
> Hi,
>
> My machine, after a certain amount of time keeps shutting down - so I
> had a look at the message logs and found the following (notice
> anything bizarr?):
>
> ----------------- start of snippet ----------
> Jul  7 18:15:56 localhost kernel: ACPI: Critical trip point
> Jul  7 18:15:56 localhost kernel: Critical temperature reached (-264
> C), shutting down.
> Jul  7 18:15:56 localhost shutdown[2877]: shutting down for system
> halt
> ---------------- end of snippet--------------
>
> The temperature is -264! i.e. minus 264.
>
> Is this a special error?
>
> I have one idea that it could be my BIOS battery running out... Or do
> I just need to give my fan a hoover?
>
> Has anyone come across this before?

Well I've had my home PC shutdown due to temperature before. However, I
suspect the software ('lm_sensors'?) may have got things a bit wrong
with respect to the temperature. The BIOS itself should be able to give
you the actual temperature being detected.

In my case the PC has poor airflow, and with a 3D graphics card
installed, it sometimes is too much if I run a lot of 3D graphics. The
graphics card has its own fan, and I have installed 2 (!) others and it
still overheats sometimes. Basically the PC needs rebuilding/replacing.
I gather that airflow in a PC is a bit of an art itself, depending on
whether air is being drawn in or blown out etc.

If this is a laptop then one test may be to see if it shutsdown when
using the mains power supply. If it does, then its an airflow problem.

John.