Re: [LUG] Say NO toMicrosoft Office becoming an ISO Standard

Paul Sutton wrote:
> Done,  its interesting to note the following
> * standard ISO26300 named Open Document Format (ODF)*:
>
> Anyone submitting documents to websites or asking for documents in
> something other than DOC, can now quote the following,
>
> I have attached my assignment in industry standard * ISO26300 Open
> Document Format (ODF)*: format,
>
> No one can argue with that can they,  Any comments.

I'm a tutor with the Open University and it is sad to say but in most
(but not all) cases you would get a (possibly polite) notice from your
tutor saying that the document _must_ be submitted in doc format for it
to be marked.  No argument, you just fail the course unless you toe the
line :-)  If it was your final assignment and you submitted in the
"wrong" format and too close to the deadline to resubmit you might well
simply fail the entire course anyway.

Intro:

I'm new to this list; I ran linux (SuSE :-(  for many years in my
Sheffield University and I'd love to wean myself off dependence on
Windows but this is no easy task.  For example:

I am using the omnipage windows OCR tool that came with my scanner and I
very much doubt if any of the open source tools recently reviewed would
hack the job I'm doing in my spare time.  This involves scanning and
recognising a noisy document written in an ancient typewriter font that
the software recognises with remarkable precision and offers me
excellent editing facilities tied to a spell-checker (I'll give you one
guess whose) when words are not recognised.  The scanning / OCR /
proofreading tools are well integrated and make the job bearable.

My job with the OU _requires_ me to use software that only functions
correctly in a windows environment.

I use a number of commercial packages which have no linux counterparts
or where licencing restrictions tie me to a specific operating system.
Mathematica being one of them.