Re: [LUG] Say NO toMicrosoft Office becoming an ISO Standard

> I'm a tutor with the Open University and it is sad to say but in most
> (but not all) cases you would get a (possibly polite) notice from your
> tutor saying that the document _must_ be submitted in doc format for it
> to be marked.  No argument, you just fail the course unless you toe the
> line :-)  If it was your final assignment and you submitted in the
> "wrong" format and too close to the deadline to resubmit you might well
> simply fail the entire course anyway.

I am a OU student, and can fully understand this.  However the software
supplied by the OU (openoffice or star office) can save as MS office
formats, which is more than can be said for MSworks suite which is
supplied as standard on many new computers.   The university deserves
credit for doing this.  It really helps students.

Its also better than having to buy MS office, which is expensive, even
for students,  well the cost is about £100, which is roughly the cost of
the course I am on at the moment.

I wonder if other universities follow suite and give away star office,
even if they also ask for documents to be submitted as .doc or other MS
formats.

Paul