[LUG] Partitioning Problems

I think my hard disc is heading for oblivion: Each time I try to install a
Linux distro on it (this occurs with all the distros I've tried), the end
result is a non functioning system. even though it seems to go through the
installation procedure ok.

Distros like Knoppix work fine from RAM/DVD, but as soon I try a proper
install, they fail!

Is there a way to perform a low level format on the disc, (below the
partitioning level), or will I just have to scrape my pennies together and
get a new hard disc :(

TIA

Tony