Re: [LUG] Photography: Gimp classes

Mark Jose wrote:

>> ...Canon DPP which can be persuaded to run
>> under Wine.  DPP is important since it is part of the camera kit for
>> Canons from the big EOS DSLRs to the little Ixus'.

> Sorry to sound thick, but can you give a quick overview of what DPP is/does?

DPP is one of a set of applications provided, in Mac and Windows
versions, by Canon with (most at least, and all their serious) cameras.

It is digital photographer professional, and understands the Canon raw
format .CR2 well enough to write it (perfectly I suppose in fact)
whereas the gimp can read it, using dcraw, but not resave in it.

It allows adjustment of exposure, assorted alterations, sharpening and
in general is a significant piece of kit that interfaces the camera to
everything else.

It is very good, and I suppose no more needs to be FLOSS than does the
camera firmware, although it would be nice if it was.

BTW
Here is an example of a well-respected course which focusses on Photoshop.
http://www.lightandland.co.uk/tours.aspx?conid=401&tourid=117