Re: [LUG] Plymouth Venues?

Neil Williams wrote:
> On Tue, 15 May 2007 21:41:29 +0100
> Anton Channing <achanning@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>
>> I'm surprised to see that there have been
>> no meetings in Plymouth since Plymouth Uni
>> 2003.  Is there simply a lack of people in
>> Plymouth to make this worthwhile?
>
> No - take a look at the Location Map.

I would but I can't get into the membership
area because I forgot my id.  I tried to
get a password reminder for 'anton' and
'antonchanning' but neither of those ids
apparently exist.  I'm sure I signed in at
one point though... :/

>> Or are there less formal meetings that aren't
>> advertised on the website?
>
> There are some but that isn't why Plymouth is not listed.
>
> The problem is a persistent lack of a suitable venue and someone with
> the necessary contacts to get us things like an internet connection.

Ah.

>> Either way, if a venue is needed, I would
>> like to volunteer finding out if the
>> College might have a room to spare of an
>> evening.
>
> Which college? MarJon? CFE?

City College Plymouth.  Formerly
known as PCFE.  (or 'The CFE'
locally).

>> I don't know if they do, and if
>> they did, what the requirements would be
>> in terms of facilities.
>
> There is a list on the Meetings page on the wiki:
> http://www.dcglug.org.uk/wiki/?id=Meetings

Doh!  I was just on that page when I
typed the post!

>> I know the college
>> network has a proxy that blocks .zip and
>> .exe file downloads across http, but I
>> doubt that would be a problem for linux?
>
> Sounds a bit picky to only block those, would it block Packages.gz and
> other compressed formats? People usually need to install things from
> the repositories.

No.  I've downloaded linux stuff fine.
Including .gz files.

The restriction is only to stop staff
and students from installing unlicensed
downloads on college XP machines.

>> Any one fancy a pint somewhere? ;)
>>
>> Anton
>
> I'm up for that. Pick a venue and a date, put it into the Wiki and see
> who can make it. Note that some people do work Saturdays and some need
> time to get back from work elsewhere for evening events. Informal
> events like that don't need internet connections, just somewhere to get
> some food if coming from work.
>
> Make sure you give the postcode of the venue so that people can use
> online maps to get directions.

Okay.  Once I've got my membership id back
I'll log in and put it in the wiki.

I tend to have a social life on Saturdays
anyway, so an evening after work would
suit me.

Anton