Re: [LUG] Plymouth Venues?

On Tue, 15 May 2007 21:41:29 +0100
Anton Channing <achanning@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> I'm surprised to see that there have been
> no meetings in Plymouth since Plymouth Uni
> 2003.  Is there simply a lack of people in
> Plymouth to make this worthwhile?

No - take a look at the Location Map.

> Or is
> it simply lack of demand from the Plymouth
> membership?

No.

> Or are there less formal meetings that aren't
> advertised on the website?

There are some but that isn't why Plymouth is not listed.

The problem is a persistent lack of a suitable venue and someone with
the necessary contacts to get us things like an internet connection.

> Either way, if a venue is needed, I would
> like to volunteer finding out if the
> College might have a room to spare of an
> evening.

Which college? MarJon? CFE?

> I don't know if they do, and if
> they did, what the requirements would be
> in terms of facilities.

There is a list on the Meetings page on the wiki:
http://www.dcglug.org.uk/wiki/?id=Meetings

> I know the college
> network has a proxy that blocks .zip and
> .exe file downloads across http, but I
> doubt that would be a problem for linux?

Sounds a bit picky to only block those, would it block Packages.gz and
other compressed formats? People usually need to install things from
the repositories.

> Any one fancy a pint somewhere? ;)
>
> Anton

I'm up for that. Pick a venue and a date, put it into the Wiki and see
who can make it. Note that some people do work Saturdays and some need
time to get back from work elsewhere for evening events. Informal
events like that don't need internet connections, just somewhere to get
some food if coming from work.

Make sure you give the postcode of the venue so that people can use
online maps to get directions.

--

Neil Williams