Re: [LUG] Kubuntu upgrade

On Friday 11 May 2007 15:51, john.hansen@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:
> Posted by "John Hansen" <john.hansen@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
>

> I have today from Linuxman received a "Kubuntu Alternate v.7.04 32bit
> install CD".
>
> Before running it I would like some guidance being one of the less
> experienced Linux users. I have Kubuntu v.6.06 installed and would like to
> upgrade to 7.o4. Do I just insert the CD in the CDdrive and let it install
> itself as I would with WindowsXP? Somebody was of the opinion that I need
> first to install v.6.10 before installing v.7.04. This seems a rather
> cumbersome method so I would prefer to avoid going down route. Advice/help
> would be much appreciated.
>
> John (Bude)
> --

As I understand it John, you can only upgrade from 6.10 to 7.04 - at least
using the upgrade tool available from Ubuntu.Personally, I don't
like "upgrading" - I find things sometimes need fiddling with afterwards. I
would back up your personal data then install your new distro and put your
personal data back after all is settled. But that is my own personal view of
course.
Did you choose the alternative disk for a reason? Whilst you shouldn't have
any bother installing Kubuntu from that, it is not very "graphical". The
standard disks allow you to install from a live cd, whereas the alternative
disk is command line (albeit with an ncurses display iirc). Useful if you
want some specific install - netinstall or a server install for instance,but
less "user friendly" perhaps than the standard disk.

If you don't get on with the alternative disk, drop me a line and I can send
you a copy of 7.04 Kubuntu standard disk.

Mark