Re: [LUG] Kubuntu upgrade

----- Original Message ----
From: "john.hansen@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx" <john.hansen@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
To: list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Sent: Friday, 11 May, 2007 3:51:32 PM
Subject: [LUG] Kubuntu upgrade

Posted by "John Hansen" <john.hansen@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>

I have today from Linuxman received a "Kubuntu Alternate v.7.04 32bit install CD".

Before running it I would like some guidance being one of the less experienced Linux users.
I have Kubuntu v.6.06 installed and would like to upgrade to 7.o4.
Do I just insert the CD in the CDdrive and let it install itself as I would with WindowsXP?
Somebody was of the opinion that I need first to install v.6.10 before installing v.7.04. This seems a rather cumbersome method so I would prefer to avoid going down route.
Advice/help would be much appreciated.

John (Bude)

If you do a complete re-install, you can just use the CD. But, you will lose anything extra you have installed, email, favourites, files tored in your Home directory etc.

My understanding is, that to retain your existing settings and anything you have installed / stored in your Home directory, you would need to use the new upgrade wizard. I think that will only work with 6.10 and later (but, I could be wrong).