Re: [LUG] Thanks but there's more!!!!

> > Use sudo again Christopher.
> > sudo gedit /etc/sane.d/snapscan.conf
>
> You can't do that. Graphical applications cannot be run by root (well,
> they could be, if you start an X server as root- which is even more of a
> no no)- the X server belongs to your user. And rightly so. Learn a
> simple command line editor- if you ever really mess up your system that
> will be essential anyway.

sudo gedit works absolutely fine for me in Ubuntu

> > Basically, most files other than those in your /home directory are owned
> > by "root". So, you need to have root priveliges to edit them - thats what
> > sudo does, it gives your username temporary root priveliges.
>
> Why does everyone always suggest sudo? If you've got 3 commands to run
> as root, you don't want to type the password every time. Use su. Now you
> have a root shell. Run the 3 commands, then type exit.

sudo only asks for your password once, unless you don't use sudo for 5
minutes or so.

unfortunately su won't work for me in Ubuntu. It never asked me to set a
root password during setup. This can be sorted out by going to System ->
Administration -> Users and Groups and then changing the automatically
generated root password.