Re: [LUG] OT: Satellite TV installers

On Thu, 2007-04-19 at 12:42 +0100, stinga wrote:
> It sat terms I don't think you have a 'digital' signal, the data is
> digital over an analogue signal (maybe sort of??)

> Isn't this the same as ADSL?
> My phone line is not digital.

If you're interested:

digital satellite and adsl are both digital and don't travel over
analogue signals.

If you have adsl then your phone line IS digital, well some of it. The
adsl part is transmitted digitally and the voice part is analogue. The
two parts are separated into different frequency bands, which is why you
have to use a filter on you phone line if you have adsl as it makes sure
that these two bands are separated so that your phone doesn't interfere
with the adsl. I can pretty much guarantee that your voice call gets
digitalised if you're speaking to someone that isn't connected to the
same exchange as yourself.

ADSL and digital satellite, like most modern digital communication
technologies are physically very similar in that they use QAM,
quadrature amplitude modulation as a carrier.