[LUG] 5-Button Mouse Setup (Ubuntu)

Hi guys I need some help,

I have just bought a Bluetooth Microsoft Laser Mouse 8000. Now I'm not a
fan of Microsoft software, but I am a great fan of their hardware!
Typing this with a lovely u$ ergo 4000 kb.

Anyway this mouse worked in Ubuntu as soon as I connected it apart from
a few features. The left, middle and right click works along with the
scroll up/down. The extra buttons, one on each side and the left/right
scroll do not work.

How can I configure Xserver to respond to the side buttons and
left/right scroll? I want to use the side buttons to do back and forward
in Firefox and also in Nautilus and hopefully get the left/right scroll
to work too. Is there a nice gnome app that I can use to assign the side
buttons to functions?

if I run xev I can see that X sees the following buttons and gives them
the following button numbers:

button1 - left click
button2 - middle click
button3 - right click
button4 - scroll up
button5 - scroll down
button6 - none (probably should be scroll left)
button7 - none (probably should be scroll right)
button8 - left-side click
button9 - right-side click

thanks,
Andy