Re: [LUG] ftp backup

Simon Waters wrote:
> Robin Cornelius wrote:
>> mirror seems to do the job nicely and has copied the site off for me now.
>
> It is not an easy name to search for(!), you have a link?

Yea "apt-cache search ftp" produced a nice list which by trial and error
mirror proved to do the job. I think the initial problem was too much
choice and too much time spent fighting sitecopy and wasting too much
time in google.

> ncftp is the usual recommendation I've made before, but it isn't pretty.

Will bare in mind for next time

> wget can do a mirror of someone else's site over http, I've used that
> for ripping information out of various sites, as once it is local, it is
> far quicker to hack with grep and friends.

I need the actual code, its all php files etc and lots of random stuff
that I am not sure you can fetch by http. Once i have control things can
be sorted out properly.

> FTP should die -- it has a lot of issues as a protocol, usually okay
> with some of the good free software ftp servers, but historically ftp
> has been very bad on error reporting. You sure there are no other options?

Yea its crap, but the server was running proftpd, i think it mostly
might be incompetence of the hosting company causing the issues.

--
Robin Cornelius
http://www.byteme.org.uk