Re: [LUG] getgnulinux.org

On 3/27/07, Robin Menneer <robinmenneer@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> I've just arrived into Ubuntu.  Why should I go to Debian - wot's in it for
> me ?  Why learn something new when I happy with Ubuntu ?

Ubuntu is based on Debian so most things will be very similar so there
should not be much learning.

There are probably very few direct tangable benifits which makes it
difficult to give really good reasons that are easy to see. If you
wanted to run a server debian stable is the way to go the security
team (and the rest) do a good job of keeping patches upto date.
sometimes the apps may be a little old but for most server jobs,
email, SMB, web thats fine anyway so all you want is a stable system
will all security and stability bugs up to date. When it comes time to
upgrade stable, you will expect it to *just* work.

If you are on the desktop then the only real reasons are the political
ones about free/non free which i think has been done to death
recently. Apart from that there probably is not a huge difference
between ubuntu and debian unstable? i think ubuntu has more "helper"
stuff to make some tasks from the GUI a bit simpler.

--
Robin Cornelius
http://www.byteme.org.uk