Re: [LUG] BT broadband

Matt Lee wrote:
> I don't see the need for something like Sky anyway.
>
> Anyway, Virgin Media runs lots of mirrors for free software, and
> isn't Murdoch, so I guess they're a bit better. They appear to
> offer a choice and some value.
>
> matt
I think that's the real issue.  Murdoch is trying to do a Gates and be
the only effective player in digital entertainment.  In that context
Branson can be viewed as the Jobs of  entertainment.  It's no secret
that Murdoch hates Branson and with the combination of dirty tricks and
forced monopoly Murdoch is trying to make us accept I'll go with the
Branson model any day.

Isn't Linux all about freedom to choose?  In that context I'm surprised
anyone here would support Sky since your freedom to choose is exactly
what Murdoch is seeking to deny to you.

I *do* appreciate that you have no choice given that Virgin haven't laid
cable down in your area yet, but in the other thread (getgnulinux.org)
people are advocating writing to hardware manufacturers.  The exact same
thing would actually work here.  The more people who write to Virgin and
ask for their services in Devon and Cornwall, the more commercially
viable it will look to Virgin and the more likely they will do it.  As
you know BT had/have a threshold of requests above which they converted
exchanges to DSL support.  It may well be that Virgin have a similar
system, but not enough people have requested it yet.

Kind regards,

Julian