[LUG] Digitopia update

Apologies this is going to be a long one .....

I thought I would post an update every week on the project. Primarily to
get your feedback but also to keep it in peoples minds.

The "milestones" for this project are as follows

1. Release a LIVE-CD of "art production" tools complete with a good set
of getting started notes. Including a link to a website which will
(eventually) publish the "art collection" event day.

2. On the "art collection" event day, collect all the data for sorting
and incorporation, including accreditation where the artist / artist's
guardian is happy with this (we will be dealing with young children here
so its important that we deal with data protection and child protection
issues correctly).

3. Once cataloged, produce a 2nd live cd including the cataloged work
contributed (along with the original tools).

Well we now have a version 1.00  banner and a slogan "The expression of
freedom using free software tools". The slogan will be incorporated into
the banner version 2 along with Tux on one side and Gnu on the other
(fair is fair they are both important to the project and the FLOSS
movement in general ).

To see the banner point your favorite free browser at
http://www.zleap.net/digitopia.php (Thanks to Paul for hosting this).
For those that are interested it was produced in GIMP. The "final"
banner will be "published" on the CD, since the ethos is freedom.

I desperately need someone who is a "master of arts" in putting together
a live CD distro ... any volunteers ?

I also need a wish list of tools to put on the CD. Here's what I have
dreamed up so far.

OpenOffice   - for the would be poets, authors and other practitioners
of the written word
Audacity       - for the sound techies and pod cast aways
Rosegarden(1) / Hydrogen / ? - for the composers
GIMP / Tux Paint / Potato Guy - For the serious (and not so serious )
artists (and Potato Guy for me caus thats my level)

REMEMBER : If you suggest an "arts production"  product to be included,
if it makes the list YOU may be expected to "support it" for the
duration of event.

(1)My last encounter with Rosegarden left me in a cold sweat so if there
are any user space people in DCGLUG who have experience with Rosegarden
configuration / usage (and that goes for any of the other products
mentioned above) please volunteer.

I also want to accredit the work as having been produced using tools
from the CD, so that we know that it wasn't produced using other
products, any one know is there a way we can incorporate a digital
signature into the work ?

I want to make the live CD as trouble free as possible (Mission
impossible perhaps but we can but try). The idea is to distribute the CD
so that it can be used as a tool from any machine (within reason). The
only viable option for saving work from the CD is going to be something
like a pen drive.

So do we fund pen drives or try to find a sponsor who will subsidize the
pen drives (in exchange for some publicity / sales).  I am thinking of
approaching the guy in the Electrowise shop based in Newton Abbot /
Torquay to see what he thinks, but I would like to get a working live cd
distro prepared so that I can demonstrate the idea.

Unfortunately I can't give a sponsor any accurate projections on sales,
since I have never tried anything like this before.

Im not sure this project is going to hit deadline (ie some time in 2007)
I have cursed myself for putting 2007 on the banner. It may well end up
like debian "it will be ready when it is ready", but determination is
driving me now, please come and join the party.

Tom.