Re: [LUG] getgnulinux.org

On Sun, 25 Mar 2007 16:12:48 +0100
"Ben Goodger" <goodgerster@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> > > Why are Fedora not in the list then!? Especially since I don't
> > > believe any of the other distributions are COMPLETELY free,
> > > simply aiming towards it.
> >
> > gNewSense is.
>

> But it's Ubuntu-based.
> If Ubuntu is so tainted, how can you prove that gNewSense is
> completely free?
> Indeed, how can you prove that the source packages provided by the
> various projects whose work goes into it is completely free?

That shouldn't be hard, actually. All packages in Debian main have been
audited for licences and copyright issues many times. The only way you
GET a non-free Debian/Ubuntu is by *adding* non-free code to it. The
point with binary firmware is that it is still necessary to have it
available for some pieces of kit (like wireless cards). We didn't need
people like SCO to get these audits done, although SCO did focus a few
minds on the need to keep on top of the audits.

Free software is very easy to audit - it is always on view. There were
previously issues within the kernel but those have been addressed too,
leaving (mainly) the thorny issue of binary firmware loaded, not into
the kernel, into peripherals.

Outside the desktop environment, it is common to have fully free
software implementations in a server etc. Individual installations can
be free - Matt's point is that the upstream repositories make it too
easy (in his eyes) to add non-free. I think it's about right in Debian
but maybe too easy in Ubuntu. That is a choice that Ubuntu have made
for their own reasons - everyone is free to choose where to put their
own dividing line. I just want to have a free software wireless card.
(The driver is free software but the card needs this pesky firmware).

There is a truly massive amount of effort continuously going into
Debian and therefore Ubuntu, specifically checking that all source code
files for packages in 'main' are genuinely free software. Packages are
routinely removed if the freedom is in doubt - e.g. firefox does not
exist in Debian main anymore, it had to be renamed Iceweasel in order to
remain free.

My amd64 workstation is completely free software - my iBook needs
binary firmware for the wireless card.

--

Neil Williams