Re: [LUG] getgnulinux.org

On Sun, 25 Mar 2007 15:46:58 +0100
Matt Lee <mattl@xxxxxxx> wrote:

> As I understand, Fedora are still shipping binary firmwares, but
> are actively working on removing this, they also have some
> policies which allow any OSI-licensed software into their
> distribution, including some licenses considered to be non-free,
> but as I understand it, this too is being worked on.

Don't think it's only Fedora doing that - Debian is also working to
remove binary firmware, it's just that Etch is too close to remove it
now, it's on the cards for Lenny. i.e. The firmware will be removed
from unstable as soon as possible after Etch is released.

Ubuntu will probably follow - if free software can replace the binary
firmware, I'm confident that Ubuntu will use that in preference.

Whatever happens with the distros, it is the source code that counts
and once firmware replacements migrate upstream, everyone will benefit.

--

Neil Williams