Re: [LUG] Laptop recommendations

Neil Williams wrote:
> On Sat, 10 Feb 2007 13:44:02 +0000
> Julian Hall <lists@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>

>> Hi All,
>>
>> I know Linux on laptops is the place to look for general advice.
>> However I know and trust your opinions so I would appreciate
>> suggestions.
>>
>> I'm considering swapping the *heavy* bag I take to uni for a
>> lightweight laptop with plenty of battery power.
>>

> iBook.
> ;-)

Sounds like an idea, except I don't have bottomless pockets and Mac
hardware tends to be very pricey for the same spec.

>> Ideally I'd like to
>> run Linux and Windows dual booting on it
>>

> What do you need on Windows?
The clue was the 'for uni' bit ;)  Microsoft SQL Server 2005, MS Office
suite and MS Visual Studio (for VB and VC++).  Plus miscellaneous other
programs that sadly only work in Windows.
>  Do you really need it?
Sadly yes.
> The 12" iBook (the model I'm using right now) is a lot lighter than any
> x86 laptop.

Review of my current one says it is 3.8Kg (8lbs in old money).  Lighter
than that would be nice... of course that is likely to be sacrificing
optical drives etc.
> Few laptops can match the battery life of Mac hardware.

Fair enough.

Kind regards,

Julian