Re: [LUG] Laptop recommendations

On Sat, 10 Feb 2007 13:44:02 +0000
Julian Hall <lists@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Hi All,
>
> I know Linux on laptops is the place to look for general advice.
> However I know and trust your opinions so I would appreciate
> suggestions.
>
> I'm considering swapping the *heavy* bag I take to uni for a
> lightweight laptop with plenty of battery power.

iBook.
;-)

> Ideally I'd like to
> run Linux and Windows dual booting on it

What do you need on Windows? Do you really need it? A new iBook could
conceivably run Windows but you'd be better off with Debian/Ubuntu or
OSX dual booting with Debian/Ubuntu.

The 12" iBook (the model I'm using right now) is a lot lighter than any
x86 laptop.

>, so obviously hardware
> compatibility is a priority.  Being a wheelchair user a lightweight
> one is a priority, otherwise I may as well keep the heavy bag I
> already have.  I'm assuming a Centrino is the way to go for long
> battery life?

Few laptops can match the battery life of Mac hardware.

> I've had a look at the Novatech range and they seem pretty nice.  The
> trouble is nobody seems to put a priority on mentioning weight.
>
> Kind regards,
>
> Julian
>
> --

Neil Williams