Re: [LUG] Laptop recommendations

On Sat, 10 Feb 2007 15:00:04 +0000
Neil Williams <linux@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> > > Few laptops can match the battery life of Mac hardware.
> >
> > What are the new x86 based Mac laptops like for battery life?
>
> Not entirely sure, but battery life has more to do with the processor
> than the OS so I doubt that x86 is going to outperform RISC, whether
> OSX is used on both or not. e.g. my battery life hasn't reduced much
> by swapping OSX for Debian and Debian isn't doing anything in
> particular to conserve battery power compared to how it would run on
> an x86 laptop.
>
> The "problem" with the 12" RISC iBook is the default RAM size: 128Mb.
> It is worth finding a 256Mb if possible.
>
> Personally, I think Apple made a huge mistake moving to x86.
>
> Doesn't really help Julian though. I only raised old-style iBook as a
> diversionary tactic. ;-)
>
> (Unless Julian is interested in second hand laptops, of course.)

Yeah, sorry about this... I was just kinda hijacking the topic.  I know
that the iBooks have outstanding batterylife, and I have been
considering getting an Apple laptop for sometime for this reason... I
was curious if Apple had done anything fancy with the hardware to make
the x86 Macbooks have as long a battery life as their PPC predecessors.

If not, then there's no reason (for me) to go for an x86
Macbook over a "normal" x86 laptop considering it'd be running Debian
anyway. :D

--Grant.