Re: [LUG] Laptop recommendations

On Sat, 10 Feb 2007 14:38:49 +0000
Grant Sewell <dcglug@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> > > heavy bag I already have.  I'm assuming a Centrino is the way to
> > > go for long battery life?
> >
> > Few laptops can match the battery life of Mac hardware.
>
> What are the new x86 based Mac laptops like for battery life?

Not entirely sure, but battery life has more to do with the processor
than the OS so I doubt that x86 is going to outperform RISC, whether
OSX is used on both or not. e.g. my battery life hasn't reduced much by
swapping OSX for Debian and Debian isn't doing anything in particular
to conserve battery power compared to how it would run on an x86 laptop.

The "problem" with the 12" RISC iBook is the default RAM size: 128Mb.
It is worth finding a 256Mb if possible.

Personally, I think Apple made a huge mistake moving to x86.

Doesn't really help Julian though. I only raised old-style iBook as a
diversionary tactic. ;-)

(Unless Julian is interested in second hand laptops, of course.)

--

Neil Williams