Re: [LUG] OK so whats wrong with it?

On 09/02/07, Robin Menneer <robinmenneer@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Yes, I haven't a clue,  This is precisely why I have a computer and more precisely why I have gone for ubuntu.

Good for you. When Feisty is released, I'll be on hand with some Debian discs.

Surely it's not incumbent on the thickie user to protect the computer.

Wrong - the computer is a tool to be used by the user, not the other way around. If you were under the control of the computer, you would complain to Microsoft that Vista isn't as good as you thought.

If the  software is good encoiugh, it should protect itself.

Yes, but it can't protect itself from a user it is programmed to obey, instructing it to commit suicide.

I accept that warnings may be half-way houses that shouldn't be ignored, bu they should be in ordinary english and free of computer jargon.

I fail to see how a computer error can be in ordinary english. If the developers want you to know, for instance, that you've got a corrupt file allocation table in your windows partition they aren't going to say "one of your disk drives is buggered."

--
Ben Goodger
#391382